Stellies thump SSU en-route to Nedbank Cup semis

In flexing their Cup competition experience, Stellenbosch FC advanced to the semifinals of the Nedbank Cup this weekend after a clinical 4-0 win over SuperSport United at the Danie Craven Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

While SuperSport edged Stellenbosch to the ball during the early exchanges of the match, it was the home side that broke the deadlock after seven minutes on the clock.

Following a swift counter-attacking move inside the SS box, Anicet Oura made the most of a scramble inside the 18-yard-area before slotting the ball home with ease.

SuperSport put the home side under immense pressure after going a goal down and held most of the ball during the first 20 minutes of the encounter. Stellenbosch on the other hand took the opportunistic approach by looking to hit the Tshwane side on the break.

The Cape Winelands grew into the game as the half-hour mark approached and had SuperSport defending on the edge of their area on numerous occasions.

Stellenbosch did well to contain the travelling side en-route to the break while creating a couple of scoring opportunities of their own. Nevertheless, Steve Barker and company headed into the break with their 1-0 advantage intact.

Following a swift start to the second-half, Stellenbosch wasted no time in attacking the away side and doubled their advantage in the 46th minute. After a clever give and go on the edge of the area, Devin Titus found himself in a one-on-one situation with Ricardo Goss before guiding the ball into the back of the net.

Andre De Jong made it three to the good in the 52ndminute after yet another clinical transitional move in the middle of the park. Picked out by Jayden Adams, de Jong made no mistake with a right-footed shot inside the area.

In full control of the game, Iqraam Rayners added Stellenbosch’s fourth goal soon after the hour mark after a brilliant finish from a tight-angle inside the area. SuperSport battled to contain Stellies’ attacking advancements after Rayner’s effort as the home side went in search of a fifth goal at the Danie Craven Stadium.

Kicking into game-management mode, Stellenbosch dominated play all the way to the final whistle as Barker and company advanced to the final four of the popular tournament.

Stellenbosch FC: (1) 4 (Oura 7’, Titus 46’, de Jong 52’, Rayners 61’

SuperSport United: (0) 0

Stellenbosch FC: Oscarine, van Rooyen, Toure, Mcaba, Basadien (Sibande 84’), Adams (Mgaga 56’), Nduli (Jurgens 71’), Titus, de Jong (Palace 84’), Oura, Rayners

SuperSport United: Goss, Bhasera (Campbell 46’), Hlatshwayo, Okon (Baloyi 67’), Lungu, Lakay, Ndlovu, Margeman, Hamza, Grobler (Ighodaro 67’), Dzvukamanja (Magidigidi 46’)