SuperSport come from behind to go top

SuperSport United came from behind to secure a 1-1 draw against Bloemfontein Celtic in an Absa Premiership game played at Lucas Moripe Stadium in Atteridgeville on Sunday afternoon.

Mame Niang scored from the penalty spot 10 minutes from time to send Matsatsantsa top of the table. Musa Nyatama scored for Siwelele.

SuperSport United coach Cavin Johnson made two changes to the side that beat Maritzburg United in midweek. Edwin Gyimah and Mame Niang returned to the starting line-up in place of Mogogi Gabonamong and Bradley Grobler.

Ernst Middendorp on the other hand only made one change to the side that drew 2-2 with Moroka Swallows. Rodreck Mutuma replaced Joel Mogorosi in the starting 11, the Botswana midfielder had to settle for a place on the bench.

Bloemfontein Celtic should’ve taken the lead in the third minute through Lerato Manzini. Musa Nyatama made a driving run down the left flank before playing in Manzini but somehow the striker wasn’t able to convert from centimetres out.

SuperSport United started to find their rhythm following the close scare, by going close through Mame Niang and Thuso Phala. But despite their dominance in possession it was Phunya Sele Sele who created the better opportunities.

Nyatama who started the game off brightly forced Ronwen Williams into a stunning save in the 21st minute. The midfielder directed a powerful effort on goal from range but Williams was up to the task.

Manzini then had another glorious opportunity to give Siwelele the lead seven minutes later. Mutuma set up the forward following a deadly counter but Manzini yet again squandered the opportunity with goal at his mercy.

Nyatama deservedly gave the visitors the lead five minutes before the break. The elusive midfielder played a neat one two with Vuyani Ntanga before rounding the keeper and slotting the ball into the back of the net.

Sameehg Doutie almost squared things up on the stroke of halftime, the winger’s free-kick from 25 yards out had Patrick Tignyemb beaten but not the frame of goal.

Celtic went into the break with their noses in front, 1-0.

Thuso Phala tested Tignyemb four minutes into the second stanza. The Bafana Bafana midfielder cut inside before unleashing an effort at goal, the Cameroon shot stopper was up to it and palmed away from danger.

SuperSport continued to turn the screw and finally found the breakthrough in the 80th minute of the match.

Second half substitute Bradley Grobler was brought down inside the area by Keagan Buchanan, Mame Niang duly stepped up and drilled ball past Tignyemb to level matters.

Gabadinho Mhango had an excellent opportunity to bag all three points for Celtic at the death but he only managed to sky his effort over the bar from close range.

The draw moves SuperSport United back to the summit of the table by virtue of goal difference while Celtic move up to 11th.

SuperSport United (0) 1 (Niang 80’)

Bloemfontein Celtic (1) 1 (Nyatama 40’)


SuperSport United: Williams; Moloi (Grobler 76’), Khumalo, Fransman, Maluleka, Doutie (Chenene 62’), Mkhabela, Gyimah, Niang, Phala, Mathebula (Maluleke 62’)

Bloemfontein Celtic: Tignyemb; Mahoa, Nthethe, Daniels, Mzava, Aruwah, Mutuma (Mogorosi 51’), Ntanga (Letlabika 60’), Nyatama, Buchanan, Manzini (Mhango 84’)