Ajax stopped by stubborn Tuks

Ajax Cape Town endured a frustrating evening as they were held to a 0-0 draw by the University of Pretoria in an Absa Premiership match at the Athone Stadium on Wednesday night.

Having enjoyed the upper-hand for most of the evening at a windy stadium, the home side would be disappointed by only taking a point from the game.

Ajax had the better of the early exchanges, enjoying the bulk of ball possession and spending most of their time in the Tuks half.

There were a couple of half chances for the hosts as Toriq Losper sent an early shot straight at Washington Arubi before Nathan Paulse fired over the bar.

It was AmaTuks though who had the best chance of the opening 20 minutes when a slip by Rivaldo Coetzee allowed Atusaye Nyondo a clean run in on goal, but he took far too long to get a shot away and Abel Mabaso was able to make a saving tackle for Ajax.

The Urban Warriors were then handed a great chance to take the lead on the half hour mark when Paulse was awarded a penalty kick after what appeared a fairly innocuous challenge in the box. But Paulse was unable to drive home the advantage as a rather weak spot kick was comfortably saved by Arubi.

Tuks coach Sammy Troughton then received his marching orders as he presumably protested against the awarding of the spot kick.

Ajax continued to dominate proceedings for the most part, and were close to scoring in the 32nd minute when Franklin Cale’s powerful drive deflected just wide of goal before Paulse headed wide of the mark from a Milton Ncube cross five minutes before half time.

The Cape side were to have the first chance of the second half, but the opportunity went a-begging as Erwin Isaacs miscued from right in front of goal after a cross from Cale had landed kindly for him on 52 minutes.

Isaacs was to miss another decent opportunity before being replaced by Bantu Mzwakali. Ncube then went close for Roger De Sa’s side when he arrowed a header a few inches wide on 70 minutes.

There was a chance for AmaTuks to grab a winner out of the blue when the ball fell kindly for Lennox Bacela in the box, but his first time volley on 80 minutes was pulled just wide.

Ajax were unable to muster any further chances and had to settle for a draw from a fairly lackluster performance by their standards.


Ajax: February, Mabaso, Coetzee, Lebusa, Ncube, Isaacs (Mzwakali 65’), Mdabuka, Scott, Losper, Cale, Paulse (Chideu 73’)

Tuks: Arubi, Jaure, Mwedihanga, Ngubane, Lichaba, Mosadi (Bacela 65’), Zwane, Ketjijere, Nyathi, Mnyamane (Kebede 92’), Nyondo