Arrows and Celtic share spoils

Lamontville Golden Arrows and Bloemfontein Celtic played out to a goalless draw in an Absa Premiership clash at the Chatsworth Stadium in Durban on Saturday afternoon.

Abafana Besithende dominated the match keeping Phunya Sele Sele goalkeeper Patrick Tignyemb very busy. However, Serame Letsoaka's men were unable to beat the Cameroonian shot-stopper on the day.

The home side were the better side in the opening stages of the game. Two minutes into game, Mabhuti Khenyeza almost caught Celtic goalkeeper Patrick Tignyemb off his line with a strike from range, but the ball went just over the cross-bar.

Five minutes later, Arrows nearly took an early lead when forward Andile Fikizolo was put through from a quick set-piece. However, the former Thanda Royal Zulu striker was well denied by Tingyemb.

Celtic launched a quick attack in the 13th minute, and Mozambique international striker Helder Pelembe's effort was blocked on the goal-line by Arrows captain Matome Mathiane.

Almost immediately at the other end, hard-running striker Khenyeza unleashed a well-taken shot which was comfortably gathered by Cameroon shot-stopper Tignyemb.

Arrows continued to dominate, and in the 25th minute Namibian midfielder Deon Hotto's great pass was received by Khenyeza, who forced Tignyemb into another save.

Nine minutes before the interval Tingyemb was again called into action when he finger-tipped Thembela Sikhakhane's attempt over the cross-bar. The keeper also pulled off a good save to deny Hotto on the stroke of time.

Arrows keeper Maximillian Mbaeva was finally seriously tested five minutes into second-half when Pelembe unleashed a powerful shot, and the goal-minder parried it away.

In the 61st minute, former Jomo Cosmos defender, who now plays in the midfield for Arrows, fired straight into Celtic goal-minder Tignyemb's hands.

Zimababwean midfielder Kudakwashe Mahachi's dangerous curling effort was scrambled by Tignyemb in the 75th minute, and there was no Arrows player nearby to pounce onto the loose ball.

The two launched late attacks in search of a late goal, but it never came, and the match ended 0-0 on the afternoon.