CTC book Telkom Knockout quarters

Cape Town City became the first team to book their place in the quarterfinals of the Telkom Knockout after defeating Bloemfontein Celtic 2-0 at Cape Town Stadium on Wednesday night.

In a match which went into extra time and was notable for a lack of quality in the attacking third from both sides, the Citizens were able to score two late goals after Phunya Sele Sele had been reduced to 10 men.

City suffered an early blow when they were forced to withdraw Roland Putsche due to a knock he picked up in the opening minutes of the match. The Austrian tried to run it off, but was replaced on 18 minutes by Mpho Matsi.

Both teams struggled to find a rhythm in attack, but as the first half wore on it was the hosts who began to create some decent scoring chances.

The best arrived in the 35th minute when Matt Sim provided a fine cross from the left flank to find Judas Moseamedi, but the striker made a mess of his attempt at goal and failed to hit the target from close range.

A few minutes later Sim himself had the chance to volley a shot from the edge of the penalty area, but he also failed to trouble Celtic goalkeeper Patrick Tignyemb.

Celtic saw little of the ball in the attacking third during the first half, but they created the first genuine chance of the second when Khethowakhe Masuku had the chance to lob a stranded Shu-Aib Walters in the 56th minute, only to put his effort wide.

The former Orlando Pirates winger was soon replaced by Deon Hotto, but neither Celtic nor City were able to create any clear chances in the remainder of regulation time, leading to an extra 30 minutes.

Extra time brought little to report until the 112th minute when Celtic defender Tshepo Rikhotso picked up his second yellow card and was sent off.

With their opponent down to 10 men, City sniffed a chance of stealing the game and avoiding penalties. They did just that, with Sibusiso Masina scoring a fine solo goal in the 115th minute to put the home side ahead.

Two minutes later it was 2-0, with the unfortunate Kabelo Mahlasela turning a scuffed shot from Thabo Nodada into his own net to kill off Phunya Sele Sele’s slim hopes of a comeback.

Cape Town City (0) (0) 2 (Masina 115’, Mahlasela og 117’)

Bloemfontein Celtic 0

City: Walters, Putsche (Matsi 18’), Johannes, Gumede, Seedat, Mkhize, Nodada, Sim (Mashikinya 87’), Manyama, Ngoma, Moseamedi (Masina 63’)

Celtic: Tignyemb, Letlabika, Rikhotso, Dube, Mxoyana, Masuku (Hotto 56’), Ndengane, Shikweni, Lakay, Nyatama (Mahlasela 69’), Abdul Razak (Nyondo 110’)