Telkom Knockout: 10 thrilling years

This season marks the 11th edition of the Telkom Knockout competition. We take a look back on the previous 10 highly memorable finals.

2006 Silver Stars 3 Ajax Cape Town 1 Super Stadium, Atteridgeville, Pretoria

The only final in which a hat-trick was scored, a proud record held by Hareiapha 'Simba' Marumo. The striker was on fire throughout the tournament and came into the final having netted three goals in the three previous rounds. Marumo showed his class again in the final as Owen da Gama's side, which included the likes of Willem Jackson, Edward Williams, Thuso Phala and Koketso Mmotong, romped to victory. The Urban Warriors landed a late consolation goal through Serge Bageta.

2007 Mamelodi Sundowns 0 Kaizer Chiefs 0 (Chiefs won 3-2 on penalties) Loftus Versfeld Stadium, Pretoria

The 2007/08 final remains the only one that ended goalless and had to be decided through a penalty shootout. A young Itumeleng Khune was the hero of the shootout, saving from Esrom Nyandoro, Peter Ndlovu and Patrick Apataki. The match itself was an entertaining affair as Brian Baloyi, in the colours of the Brazilians, denied Mabhuti Khenyeza twice and also kept out Shaun Bartlett in extra time. Surprise Moriri and Ndluvu wasted Sundowns' best chances with Amakhosi going on to lift the title.

2008 Orlando Pirates 1 Ajax Cape Town 2 Chatsworth Stadium, Chatsworth, Durban

A year later and Khenyeza was back in the final and he played an influential role in winning it, this time in the colours of Ajax. The charismatic striker had put the Urban Warriors 2-0 up inside 15 minutes, his second goal coming after Moeneeb Josephs and his defence, which included Lucas Thwala and Rooi Mahamutsa amongst others, failed to clear. Benson Mhlongo, Gilbert Mushangazhike and Dikgang Mabalane all struck the woodwork for Ruud Krol's Bucs, who eventually scored what proved to be a consolation goal via Siphelele Mthembu.

2009 Ajax Cape Town 1 Kaizer Chiefs 2 ABSA Stadium, Durban

Ajax returned to a third final the next season, this time without Khenyeza, and they clearly missed him when they went down to Chiefs. Dipsy Selolwane missed two good chances before Amakhosi had gone in front through Mandla Masango's 20th minute goal. Knowledge Musona doubled the advantage at the start of the second half with Chiefs goalkeeper Arthur Bartman doing splendidly to deny Nathan Paulse and Nhlanhla Shabalala. Diyo Sibisi did pull a goal back for the Capetonians, but it was too little too late. The unique April final was the first of two played in 2010 due to the Fifa World Cup.

2010 Orlando Pirates 0 Kaizer Chiefs 3 FNB Stadium, Soweto, Johannesburg

Chiefs became the first team to defend their Telkom Knockout title when they again won the final in December 2010. This time by the biggest ever final margin as they trounced arch rivals in a match played in Soweto. The Amakhosi side, which included players like Jimmy Tau, Thomas Sweswe, Valery Nahayo and Punch Masenamela, were led by Sthembiso Ngcobo, scored in either half. Siphiwe Tshabalala then added a third in front of a plus-90,000 crowd.

2011 Bidvest Wits 1 Orlando Pirates 3 Moses Mabhida Stadium, Durban

A trophy that formed part of Pirates' treble-winning season, the Bucs were simply on a role in 2011/12. The final was played in wet Durban conditions, with the Soweto giants hitting the lead early and never looking back. Thulasizwe Mbuyane put them in front inside 180 seconds, before Sifiso Myeni levelled for the Students. However, inspired by Benni McCarthy, late goals from Daine Klate and Isaac Chansa sealed the trophy for Julio Leal's side.

2012 Mamelodi Sundowns 0 Bloemfontein Celtic 1 Moses Mabhida Stadium, Durban

Celtic won only their third major trophy in history with a famous win over Sundowns, a match that proved to be the last in charge of the Brazilians for temperamental Dutch coach Johan Neeskens. The only goal, scored just after half time, was a controversial one as the whole ball did not appear to cross the line after Joel Mogorosi's header. Clayton Daniels was the man that made the clearance after goalkeeper Wayne Sandilands was beaten by the cross in Durban. Patrick Tignyemb was in inspired form for Siwelele, saving excellently from Teko Modise and Anthony Laffor.

2013 Platinum Stars 2 Orlando Pirates 1 Mbombela Stadium, Nelspruit

Mogakolodi Ngele was the match-winner in this gripping contest, coming off the bench to score twice and earn Stars the title for the second time in their history. By the time the Botswana international was introduced to the game, there were only 24 minutes to play at the Mbombela Stadium. Dikwena had trailed to a Lucky Lekgwathi first-half goal, while Robert Ng’ambi and Solomon Mathe squandered chance for Stars in that period. And after Siyabonga Mpontshane saved from Daine Klate and Collins Mbesuma, super-sub Ngele had the final say

2014: SuperSport United F.C. 3-2 Platinum Stars, Orlando Stadium

Robert Ng’ambi put Stars ahead on 28 minutes after a pass by Mogakolodi Ngele, but Clayton Daniels equalised form the spot seven minutes later. No goals in the second half meant the final went to extra time. Daniels put SuperSport ahead with another spot kick only for Ngele to level it at 2-2 within seconds. Thuso Pahala netted the winner for Gordon Igesund's side on 110 minutes.

2015: Mamelodi Sundowns 3-1 Kaizer Chiefs, Moses Mabhida Stadium, Durban

Downs were in control from the outset as Leonardo Castro put them in front with a fourth minute header. Thabo Nthethe headed in Teko Modise's free-kick to make it 2-0 six minutes after the break. Amakhosi received two penalties in quick succession but Denis Onyango pulled off saves to deny both Siphiwe Tshabalala and Camaldine Abraw from the spot. The Brazilians got their third goal through a sublime finish by Hlompho Kekana before Abraw netted a late consolation.